Key West Morning 2-Tank Vandenberg Wreck SCUBA Dive
Try one of the top Key West dive trips – A morning 2-tank wreck dive on the 525-foot USNS Vandenberg, a WWII-era troop transport & missile-tracking ship.
- Dive from the M/V Phoenix 46′ custom-configured Newton Dive Boat
- Work with an experienced on-board dive support team and professional dive guides
- Make two descents to 100' max depth on the 525-foot Hoyt S. Vandenberg
- Bring an Advanced Certification card and dive computer to explore the wreck independently
- Enjoy clean restrooms, two freshwater showers & ample gear storage
Start the day with an unforgettable Key West scuba diving adventure – Morning wreck diving on the 525-foot USNS General Hoyt S. Vandenberg.
The Vandenberg is a WWII Squier-class troop transport ship built in 1943 by the Kaiser Company at the Richmond, CA shipyards. Originally named the General Harry Taylor, the ship was ferried north for completion and fitting as a transport at the Kaiser Company’s Vancouver, WA shipyards. She was commissioned in May of 1944 at Portland, OR and after shake-down work off San Diego sailed out of San Francisco in June of 1944 bound for Milne Bay, New Guinea and the Pacific Theater.
After finishing the war ferrying troops and supplies in the Atlantic and then seeing post-war service throughout the 1950s as a refugee evacuation and transport vessel, the Taylor was retired in 1958 and placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet. In July, 1961 she was transferred to the U.S. Air Force. Renamed the USAFS General Hoyt S. Vandenberg in 1963, she was converted to a missile-tracking ship and went on to successfully carry out missile and spacecraft tracking duties in both Atlantic and Pacific waters through the Cold War years until her retirement in 1983.
After a successful campaign by Key West scuba diving enthusiasts and local dive captains, the Vandenberg was acquired for use as an artificial reef and dive site, prepared for sinking, and towed to Key West. She was sunk on May 27, 2009 and now sits upright on a 140-foot-deep sand bottom 6 miles SSE of Key West. The massive size of the Vandenberg puts her main deck at 100 feet of depth while the upper decks and super structure rise to within 47 feet of the surface.
The Vandenberg is the second largest artificial reef in the world and is now home to hundreds of species of fish, coral, and other marine life forms. Signature features of interest include her giant missile-tracking radar dishes, bridge, com-rooms, and crown nest with many mounted antennae. Advanced divers can descend to the main deck and access the bridge compartments for some classic wreck diving and encounters with a variety of marine life.
The Vandenberg is rated as an advanced dive because of the depths of the main deck and hull, but the shallower superstructure elements are fine for Open Water-level divers. It’s a good wreck dive for mixed ability groups, and any diver who is at least 15 years old and has been diving in the past year may join a Vandenberg wreck diving trip.
Rated as the number 1 wreck dive in the world by a Scuba Diving Magazine reader poll, the Vandenberg represents a rich repository of American and U.S. Naval History and is a must-see for wreck diving buffs. Among the many wrecks scattered along the Florida Keys, she is the star – A perfect adventure dive for beginning and advanced divers alike.
Come aboard our Key West Scuba Diving Morning 2-Tank SCUBA Dive trip and run out to the General Vandenberg for two amazing dives on one of the world’s biggest divable shipwrecks.
- Reservations are REQUIRED for all bookings
- Book Your Package On-Line and Receive Your Confirmation
- Departure point: Detailed check-in instructions - including address, Google map, and parking information - will be included in your final confirmation email.
- Duration: 4.5 Hours
- Check-in time: Please check in 8am.
- Full Equipment Package includes Tanks, Weights,Weight Belt, BCD, Regulator, fins and mask
- Tanks and Weights includes Tanks, Weights and Weight Belt
- First Tank at the Vandenberg, second tank is a captains choice (Vandenberg, Cayman Salvage Master, Joe's Tug or a Reef)
- Gratuities (Optional)
- A Dive Guide is Required for Open Water Divers for a fee of $30.00 (advanced divers with Computers are not required to have a guide).
What To Bring
- Confirmation Voucher (printed or mobile)
- Any required or suggested items listed on your confirmation email.
- A Smile!
Likely To Sell Out
Spaces are extremely limited this time of year so book early to ensure the date you want.
Voucher Confirmation Info
This tour accepts both printed and electronic vouchers (e-vouchers). You can either print the voucher and present a paper copy on the day of travel. Or, if you travel with a mobile device, simply show your Photo ID and present your voucher on your Smartphone or tablet on the day of travel.
Local Operator Information
Complete operator information, including local telephone number, will be included on your Confirmation Voucher.
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This key west scuba dive requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Frequently Asked QuestionsFAQ
Average 4.89 out of 5 stars based on 53 verified reviews from Key West Scuba Diving and TripAdvisor
Still have questions?
We’re here to help. Call Us, Text Us, or Live Chat to speak with a Key West Dive Specialist
Product code: C-293756
Similar Key West Scuba Dives
Key West Scuba Diving Refresher Course & Dive
Key West Night 1-Tank Night SCUBA Dive
Key West Afternoon 2-Tank Reef SCUBA Dive
Divers Who Booked This Key West Scuba Dive Also Booked
Key West Afternoon 2-Tank Reef SCUBA Dive
Key West Dive in a Day PADI® Discover Scuba Resort Course